Can my employer change my schedule which I have had for the past 3 years?

I have currently been asked to change my schedule that I have held for the last 3 years. The problem is that I have committed to graduate school during that time and the schedule they propose would conflict with my grad school schedule. What can I do?

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a contract granting you that schedule, then there is not a lot that you can do.  There is nothing in the law that says they have to keep you on that schedule after a certain amount of time.  If you have anything in writing saying they will work with you in your grad school scheduling efforts, then you may have a cause of action for breach of contract, but it would need to be specific and in writing. 

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.