Can my daughter’s mother apply for child support in 1 state if we already have a 50/50 custody order and no child support awarded to either in another state?

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country your daughter's mother is allowed to file a petition against you in another state even though you two share equally the custody of the minor.

Whether child support will be ordered against you is another matter. I suggest that you may wish to consult with a family law attorney in the state where the petition for child support against you has been filed or may be filed to assist you in resolving the situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.