Can my checking/savings account be garnished 100%?

What about my need for living expenses such as rent, electricity, groceries, and gas to get back and forth to work?

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Tennessee


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Depending upon your state exemption laws, you should be able to file with the Court a document stating your living expenses and your expenses, as well as your personnel property exemptions to protect portions of your accounts from garnishments. 

You must file the documents before the creditor receives a court order requiring the bank to turn over the proceeds.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.