Can my car be towed if an overweight person isn’t able to access their door?

I parked in a parking garage, correctly between the lines, with what I think was
sufficient clearance on both sides of my car. As I walked away from my car, it
just so happened that the owner of the vehicle next to mine was coming back to
her car. She was significantly overweight and was unable to squeeze between the
two cars to get to her door. She yelled at me, demanding that I move my car
immediately. I did, but what if I had not been there when she got back to her
car? Would she have been able to tow my car if she couldn’t get inside of hers?

Asked on October 25, 2017 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, your car may NOT be towed if you are parked legally, even if another person cannot access their car, whether because they are overweight, or handicapped, or simply parked too close to you (or have a car with those very striking looking, but wholly impractical, "gullwing" doors). If she tried to do anything like that, you could have sued her and whomever was helping her for all costs and damage and pressed criminal charges as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.