Can my boss post pictures of me on social media?

I never signed any photo consent form. I am 16 working a summer job. I hope to
complain to my boss, but I don’t know where in NY Labor Law does that prohibit
it. Is there a specific section I can refer to so I can print out and show my

Asked on July 22, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your boss can post pictures of you on social media so long as he is not doing so to use you to advertise his business (i.e. for commericial or monetary gain); anyone can post pictures of anyone (so long as the pictures themselves are not illegal: e.g. not pornographic, not obtained by invading someone's privacy and filming them through a window, etc.) if it's not for commercial purposes. If it was for commercial purposes, it is not legal, since each person controls his or her own image or likeness for commercial or monetary reasons; no one can make money off you without your consent. (That's why you can't use a celebrity's picture to advertise something without the celebrity licensing you to do so.) Of course, if he won't voluntarily remove it, you'd have to sue him to force him to do so, which may cost you more than doing so is worth (since you are presumably a non-celebrity, your image--no offense--is worth very little; you'd therefore get very little money in a lawsuit to offset the cost of the lawsuit).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.