Can my boss hold my pay check

My boss refuses to pay me for time that I worked. I am in the IT filed but did
some contraction even though she treated me like hourly . I worked 30 hours and
have prove of what I did. I worked on there computers every day.

Asked on June 4, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, an employer cannot withold a worker's wages. This is a violation of both federal and state law. An exempt employee (i.e. typically one who is paid hourly) is entitled to be paid for all hours worked. And to the extent that they work more then 40 hours in a work week, they are entitled to be paid for all hours over 40 as OT (i.e. time and a half). At this point, you can either file a wage claim with your state's department of labor or sue your employer in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.