Can my boss force me to work outside of my availability?

My available hours are between 7 am and 6 pm Monday-Friday. Outside those hours daycare is closed and I have two small children 3 years and 6 months old. My employer has known my availability for two years when they changed and agreed to them, but recently started scheduling me to work weekends when I do not have child care, and scheduling me at 6 am when daycare doesn’t open until 6:30 am. My boss is also threatening to write me up, force me to step down from my position even though my available hours were agreed upon when I took the position, transfer my to a different store or fire me. When I tell my boss that I cannot work these hours when the schedule is made, she says,

Asked on April 16, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have an employment contract or union agreement that provides otherwise, your company is free to set your scheduled hours (or any other condition of your employment) much as it sees fit. This is known as "at will" employment. Accordingly, absent some form of actionable discrimination, you must comply or be subject to discipline, up to and including supension or even termination. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.