Can my best friend’s dad legally adopt me without my parent’s approval?

I can’t stand living with my family anymore. I want to move out but I’m only 14 years old. My friend and her dad said it would be OK if I stay with them. But I do not want the police to bring me back home. We were wondering if they could adopt me, but my parents wouldn’t approve of that. So, is there any legal way they. An adopt me without my parent’s approval? Please respond ASAP.

Asked on March 21, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I can understand that it can be very difficult some times in a family situation.  There are a lot of dynmics and frankly most 14 year olds have issues with their parents.  But the reality is that unless the situation is detrimental to you the courts will not terminate parental rights or grant temporary guardianship to your friend's father.  And yes, he would have to petition the court for gurdianship based upon "the best interests of the child."  You have not given specifics here as to the issues.  Could you speak with a family member on the matter to tryand help things with your parents?  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.