Can my auto insurance company continue to charge me whileI have a suspended license?

My license was suspended over 2 years ago unbeknownst to me. I just found out so I continued to pay my insurance for the last 2 years that my license was suspended. Can I be refunded for the payments that Imade since it’s their responsibility to see if I’m suspended, and it is illegal to have insurance with a suspension?

Asked on September 1, 2011 under Insurance Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your driver's license was suspended for two years as the result of some charge against you and your were not to drive a car at any point during this two year time period, it was your obligation to notify your automotive insurance carrier that that you wanted to cancel your car insurance so that you did not have to pay premiums for a car that you were not driving (assuming you were the only person driving the car).

If you failed to notify your insurance carrier of this and insurance coverage continued uninterrupted, then the fault for not giving the notice lies with you. You received benefits for something that you should have cancelled. You are obligated to pay for these benefits.

It is not your insurance carrier's obligation to see if your driver's license was ever suspended. There is nothing illegal to insure a car where its owner has his or her driver's license suspended during the period of insurance coverage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.