Can my 17 year old be chaged as a adult?

Asked on July 9, 2014 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the jurisdiction that you are in. Some states will prosecute 17-year-olds in adult criminal court, but in some of those states it is only done in certain types of cases. The majority (plus the federal government) use the a defendant's 18th birthday to determine juvenile or adult prosecution.

At this point, you may want to consult with a local attorney as to your state's practice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.