Can more money be garnished from my check than the amount of the judgment against me?

I have a judgement and agarnishment of my wages had begun for that amount. Once that amount was paid out by my employer they received another one for an additional $700. How is that possible and how do I make them stop? They have not given me any of that paper work. They have now paid an additional $500 out of my check.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. You need to be aware that when you have a judgment against you, interest on the judgment typically accrues at 10% per annum from the date of the judgment. Also the judgment creditor is allowed certain statutory costs such as service of process, filing fees, and recording fees concerning the judgment.

In some cases, attorneys fees might even be allowed on the judgment. From what you have written, the extra $700 garnished from your wages may be for accrued interest and allowable costs. I would call the judgment creditor to confirm this extra amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.