Can m-M-1 Visa get permanent residency ?

I have been in US for 5 years, my nationality Jordanian birth in Jordan. My visa will be expired by Feb/2018 I want to apply for permanent residency how I can do that im on M-1 visa what is the right application I need to apply for to stay or to make me have work beside my school M-1 visa will not allow me to work while im studing i want to

change my status or get permanent residency.

Asked on October 3, 2017 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have to be sponsored for a work visa by a US employer and once that petition is approved, you can either change your status or go back to Jordan and apply for an appropriate work visa at the US Embassy in Amman.  You cannot just get permanent residence, that is a long process that is also based on either employment or through a qualifying family relative such as a parent, child, spouse or sibling.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.