Can locks be changed if I’m not divorced yet?

I’ve had major problems with wife. She left for TX and said she wouldn’t be back. Now after a couple days gone, she says she’s coming back.

Asked on June 14, 2017 under Family Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Not yet. Unless and until there is a formal separation agreement or divorce decree in effect that states who has the exclusive possession of the house, it remains the "joint marital residence". This means that you both have equal rights to the use of the property. This is true no matter whose name is on the deed/lease, and even if your wife temporarily moved out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.