Can a lawsuit initiated by a nursing home force elderly parents to lose their residence?

Rehab services were provided for father but both parents were sued. He has a brain tumor and does not remember signing an contract. It was never provided until lawsuit filed. Complaint cites mother responsible (equitable duty) for debt per state law and federal/state Medicaid requirements. Complaint also states my mother holds assets in a constructive trust that can satisfy plaintiff’s claim ($11,675). Plaintiff tried to force my mother to apply for Medicaid. We are urgently seeking to reach a settlement and provide the proper response to court and plaintiff. Parents are on a fixed income and have no other assets besides their home.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

With respect to the lawsuit that you have written about brought against your parents by the nursing home for unpaid services, there is a possibility that if there is a judgment against your parents in favor of the nursing facility, an abstract of it can be recorded on their home.

However, under your state's homestead exemption, the nursing care facility may not be able to have the home of your parents sold while they are alive. I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of elder care law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.