Can a landord raise rental price halfway through the lease term?

Landlord and tenant agreed to a 6 months lease at $2,000 month, instead of $2500 list price if the tenant painted the interior of the house and installed new flooring in the entry area. Landlord agreed to pool repairs/service and landscape cleanup prior to tenant’s move-in. The repairs/landscape cleanup were started but have not been entirely completed after 3 months. Tenant withheld rent due to this but did pay later after landlord threatened eviction. Landlord doesn’t trust tenant now to do the remodeling work and wants to raise the rent to $2500. If the tenant doesn’t agree can the landlord evict?

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written it is important to read the terms of the written lease between the landlord and the tenant in that its terms and obligations control the duties owed to the tenant by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

If the tenant has completed his or her part of the agreement the landlord cannot raise the rent if the work has been done. If the tenant has not done the agreed upon work, the landlord cannot raise the rent as well. The landlord's recourse is to hold the tenant in breach of the work agreement and seek to terminate the lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.