Can I withold visitation?

I live in one state and my ex lives in another. I have sole legal and physical custody and she has visitation every third weekend of the month. However, she has not seen the children in almost 5 years and has not even talked to them in 4 months. She maybe calls 3 times a year at most and only talks to them for a few minutes. Out of the blue she called and asked to have them for a weekend next month. I barely know who this person is anymore and it seems very strange she is suddenly so eager to see them. Can I do anything?

Asked on November 13, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country you cannot legally withhold visitation with respect to your "ex" as to minor children if there is a court order in effect as to such. Should you do so, you could be deemed in violation of a court order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.