Can I win if I sue my pervious employer for sexual harassment

I was sexually harrased / sexually assaulted
two years ago at work I was 20 years old I still
suffer anxieties and emotional disstress when
the subject of sexual harassment is mentioned.
It was a very complicated and traumatizing
situation for me and it still is. What type of
details do you need me to tell?

Asked on October 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

An employer is only liable for sexual harassment IF they had notice of it--i.e. you brought it to their attention--and they refused to do anything about it and then it happened again. That is, the employer is not responsible or liable for anything that occured before you made them aware of the situation, because the employer had no chance or opportunity to stop the behavior before they knew it was going on. If harassment or assault continued to after you brought it to the employer's attention, then you may be able to sue the employer, and if that  was the case, you should consult with a personal injury attorney to evaluate the strength of your claim and what it may be worth. You may also be be able to sue the person who assaulted you personally, and that is an option you should also discuss with your attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.