Can I walk away from making payments on a car?

I called my finance company last month to get the title for registration purposes in ID. Well the finance company instead sent me a “Notice of Lien Satisfaction”. Complete on company letterhead, my full name, and the vehicle information and complete VIN. It To whom it my concern, (financial institution,left blank on purpose), holds no lien against the (my vehicle and vin) This letter stands as verification that the loan has been satisfied and (financial institution), no longer has a security interest in the above described collateral. It is signed and notarized. I also now received the clean title from the State with no lien listed . What are the repercussions of not paying?

Asked on September 26, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

What you have written is an obvious mistake by your lender giving you a satisfaction of your loan where it appears that you still owe money on it. I would advise your lender of the mistake and return the documents to it. Keep a copy of your letter to the lender for future reference.

If you fail to pay on the loan for your vehicle, it can be repossessed and you can end up having to pay the difference that is owing on the loan and what the car is sold for at an auction called a deficiency judgment. Possibly your lender will assist you in the future by bringing its error to its attention.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.