Can i use my friends adress in a diffrent county to bypass emissions in my own county?

I recently bought a project car, that i can turn
into a racecar/weekend car for fun. I mostly
plan on using it at bandimere speedway. I took
my car for emissions and with a suprise it
failed. Its missing somthing called a air pump,
its purely for emissons only. I really dont want
to spend all that money to put one on, cause
the bill can run up into 700-1000. My friend
who Lives in a county that dose not requiere
emissions said i can use his adress to register
my car there so i dont have to worry about
emissions. Is there any legal issues here? Or
will this not work. I really wanna save money
and beable to drive my car again. So i can
focus on stuff to actully make the car faster.
Any other options i have too?

Asked on November 15, 2018 under General Practice, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You will be committing fraud and--besides any fines that could be imposed by the government if this comes to light--you could invalidate your insurance coverage. If you register your car at your friend's address, you have to use that address for insurance purposes. But if you lie about where a car is actually located or based when you apply for insurance, you will invalidate the coverage. (And if you ever have an insurance claim, or someone sues you for an accident or injury, with all the paperwork and investigation, your actual address will come out.) Therefore, you could deny yourself the protection of insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.