Can I use a legal aid to get a divorce?

I don’t have the money to hire a lawyer. Was wondering if I could use a legal aid instead.

Asked on July 7, 2012 under Family Law, Arkansas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have a legal aid or legal services program in your area and you meet their income guidelines, then, yes, you can use legal aid to file for divorce.  It really depends on the agency that you contact.  If you don't qualify for their services, you may ask them for a list of attorneys that regularly do pro bono (free or reduced rate cases) work.  You may also want to contact the clerk in your jurisdiction about any legal clinics or legal aid programs that are offered in your area.  Sometimes notices are posted through the clerk and they will have the info you need.  Even if you have to file the divorce yourself, you may want to go to a legal clinic to at least have someone look over your paperwork before you file it. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.