Can I travel outside the US if my green card still has my maiden name?

Tthe plane ticket has my maiden name as well. I became a permanent resident through my husband almost 2.5 years ago, however I decided to change my last name yesterday; Do I need to change my name on my green card even though I can apply for naturalization in less than 6 months? I am traveling out of the US in July and I am wondering if I’m going to have any issues when trying to come back in. The SSA, banks were notified and I got my new drivers license. I am just trying to find out if I need to pay the $450 fee to get a new green card.

Asked on April 29, 2014 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your maiden name should have no issues for you to travel outside of the United States with your green card. I suggest that you contact INS and ask for a form to have your name on the green card revised to include your married name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.