CanI transfer the past due fees from a storage unit into another person’s name if that person agrees to acquire ownership of the unit?

I rented a unit for my friend who has not been paying the storage fees. If he signs an agreement to take over ownership and responsibility for the unit does that keep me from being responsible for it? What if the storage company does not agree to change the names?

Asked on October 21, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have a friend who is willing to assume the debt for the storage locker that you are writing about that has yet to be paid and to assume all future debt as to it, make sure you get this agreement in a writing signed and dated by the friend.

If he signs the document as suggested, he will be responsible to you for any future claims by the storage facility. However, the storage facility may not agree to the assignment of obligation where you ultimately will be responsible to the storage facility for money owed. I suggest that you try and obtain a writing from the storgage facility stating that your friend will be obligated for all past and future charges on the storage unit, not you. If that happens, your friend will be responsible for all past and future charges.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.