Can I throw away the property of an ex-girlfriend who once lived with me?

I had a girlfriend living with me in an apartment for approximately 1 year. She was not on the lease with the apartment complex. I was also married during this time, but had been separated for close to 2 years. The girlfriend and I broke up, and she moved out of state. She left half a garage full of her property and said she would send her friend to pick it up. It has been over a year and neither she or her friend has come to collect the property and I want it all gone. What steps do I need to take to get rid of the property?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you want the articles left behind by your former girlfriend removed, you need to do the following:

1. write her a letter sent certified mail, return receipt requested requesting that she pick up the items by a certain date.

2. if she fails to do so, and if the items in your option are worth less than $300.00, you can dispose of them anyway you wish.

3. if they are worth more than $300.00 in your opinion, you take the items to an off site storage center and place the lease in your former girlfriend's name. Send her a letter certified mail return receipt advising her where the items are. If she does not pay for the rent of the items, the storage company will auction off the items to pay the unpaid rent.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.