Can i take someone to court with only a person to testify on my behalf?

I bought a car from a third party and
the back repoed it due to non payments.
I was never told by the third party
about any payments.

Asked on June 19, 2017 under Business Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can sue the third party due to his/her nondisclosure of a material (important) fact which was (presumably) known to him, which nondisclosure was made to get you to buy the car--which would be fraud--and/or for breach of contract--for violating the agreement (even if only oral or unwritten) to sell you a car with clean title, where you would own it free and clear of liens or obligations to others. (That you would get clean title when you are buying something, when no clouds on title were disclosed to you, is such a basic term that even if it's not stated explicitly, courts would imply it to the agreement.)
You can sue based only on witness testimony--even only on one witness's testimony. The court will decide how credible and reliable the testimony is, so if you have bad witnesses, you might lose--but you can still file the lawsuit.
You can sue the third party for your money back and possibly your costs to sue him/her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.