Can I take legal action?

I was fired on a day I was not scheduled. I have my
schedule proving I was not supposed to work. I
verbally informed my general manager I would be
out of town the day I was off. A normal shift starts at
4 pm, I was called at 430 pm to cover a shift for an
employee, when I told my gm I was in New Orleans,
and unable to be at work in Byram ms he informed
me that I was fired, removed me from the schedule
site. I have paperwork of the schedule. The manager
told staff I was ‘barred.’ He told me at 430 if I didn’t
come in to work even thoough I was 3 hrs away
that I was fired. Can I take any kind of legal action
against my employer?

Asked on April 3, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Mississippi


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that an employer can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit. This includes scheduling a worker to come in even on their day off. And in an "at will" employment relationship, a worker can be terminated for the reason that you give, for any reason or for no reason at all, with or without notice. Accrdingly, unless this action constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination or violates the terms of a union agreement/employment contract, it is legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.