Can I sue my employer for my injury?

I am 18 and I got injured lifting heavy objects which my employer makes us without providing back support.

Asked on May 21, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since you were injured on the job, you can file a worker's compensation claim.  The worker's compensation system is an alternative to suing the employer for your injury.  With worker's compensation, you can receive compensation for the medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the medical bills, vocational rehabilitation if applicable to be trained for another type of career.  Your HR department has the forms you need to file a worker's compensation claim. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.