Can I sue the tylenol company for causing damage to my liver?

I have been taking tylenol for several years now and did not realize it was doing
any harm to my body. When I went to the doctor just the other day they told me
that the reason I have been having such bad pains in my stomach and problems with
my liver is due to the tylenol. Can I sue the tylenol company for causing me
severe medical complications that may even lead to death if nothing is done about

Asked on April 26, 2016 under Malpractice Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can only sue the drug company if this was an unknown or hidden side effect--i.e. if the failed to warn about it. But if there are warnings about not to take too much or too long or too frequently (as a I believe there are; you should "Google" this to see if such warnings come up), then the drug company did its job: they warned people about a risk. All medicines have some risks and can cause damage if used improperly or excessively; as long as the risks are disclosed, the manufacturer has fulflled its obligation. Then the onus falls on the doctor or consummer or whomever decides to use the medicine, to avoid improper or excessive use.
Furthermore, you cannot sue for what could happen--i.e. complications that "may" lead to death--only for what has in fact actually occured. The law does not provide compensation for hypothetcal harm--only for actual.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.