Can I sue the subordinates at my former job for lost wages ifthey lied to my now former director?

2 of my subordinates at work lied to my director and I was fired as a direct result. I was canvassing in front of a restaurant when 2 gentlemen asked me to sit at their table and discuss my charity and their possible contributions. The men were having drinks and I had brought my own bottle of water which I kept in a bag under the table. My subordinates saw me and later told my director that I had been drinking on the job. I have contact information for the two men I was sitting with because they are restaurant owners and active in the community.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that this two men made false factual statements or assertions about you to a third party, which caused damage to your reputation and/or caused others to not want to employ or do business with you, then you may be able to sue them for defamation. If they defamed you, you might be able to recover the provable losses or damages you thereby suffered; for example, lost wages. Claiming you were drinking alcohal is a factual statement; if you were not and can prove you were not, it is false; being accused of drinking on the job damages your reputation and clearly caused your employer to not want to work with you...from what you write, you may have a cause of action for defamation. You should consult with a personal injury attorney to explore the potential case and your options in more detail. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.