Can I sue the state for negligence?

I have submitted a food stamp application twice now with the DHS. The caseworker told me I would qualify and the state legally has only 30 days to process it. My family has gone with little and sometimes no food for weeks now, the 30 days are up, and I have no food stamps. They didn’t fulfill their legal end, so can I sue them?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under General Practice, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

One can sue the state that one lives in for negligence. Before filing suit, one typically has to submit a claim to the state setting forth the basis for the grievance as a condition for filing a lawsuit later on.

If the claim is rejected, one has to file a suit within a certain amount of time. If the claim is not responded to, the claim is deemed rejected as a matter of law after a certain period of time. If you are interested in pursuing your grievance against the state that you live in, I suggest that you consult with an attorney who represents individuals against governmental entities.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.