Can i sue the mayor or city for house moving cost?

We purchased three lots in town to
put a manufactured house on. When
we first started the proceedings
for purchasing the house we went
to the city hall and asked what
kind of permits we needed and
could we get them that day. We
were then told dont worry about it
until the house arrives we could
get it the day of delivery. We
finally close on the house and it
was to be delivered a week after
closing. The house shows up but
all of a sudden there is a problem
the mayor is saying that section
of town isnt zoned for trailer
houses and that we would have to
get city council approval to set
the house there… they did not
mention this very important fact
the first time we talked to
them.the next council meeting is
December 11. Due to insurance
issues the house setters had to
take the house back to their lot
two hours away. To get it moved
back up here it will cost 2100…
last thursday they has some kind
of meeting that we were not
informed of, where the mayor said
she never told us we couldnt have
set the house there the day it
came. This meeting was recorded
but not when the house was
delivered. What actions can i

Asked on December 1, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Based on what you write, you cannot sue. The issue is not with the permits per se--which is what you asked about; it's that the plot or land is not zoned for a trailer home. So they did not mislead you: you did not go in and chdck on the zoning, you asked about permits, which is a different thing. And as well, it is your obligation or responsibiltiy to make sure that your land is zoned for the use to which you wish to put it or the structures you wish to place on it--i.e., you have to go and check on the zoning yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.