Can I sue the local news paper for publishing a juvenile case?

I was tried as a juvenile and pleaded no-contest. Now when you type my name into google, the article pops up as the best result linking me to this crime.

Asked on March 14, 2016 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't sue them for publishing the truth, even if it is inconvenient or unfortunate for you. Publishing the truth is only actionable if they violated an agreement or order to keep your name confidential--but such agreement or order might not be enforceable by you personally (i.e. you may not be able to sue). For example, if they violated a court order regarding the confidentiality of the proceedings or your name, the court could punish them for violating that order, but since it was the court's order they violated, and not an agreement with you, you would not be able to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.