Can I sue the Department of Children and Family Services to force a legal paternity test on someone who may be my father?

It’s been 40 years.

Asked on January 28, 2013 under Family Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the governmental entity that you have written about but you will not prevail. Rather than wasting time and expense with the entity, I would write the man who you believe to be your father seeking a voluntary paternity test. If he refuses, your recourse is to file a suit against him seeking what you desire. Should matters come to that point, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.