Can I sue someone for harrassing me because I have Hep C?

My aunt found out that I have Hep C and she keeps telling all my family that I have it, and telling them not to let me come around because I am contageous. But im not contageous, inless I am bleeding and put my blood in a open wound or through sex but obviously she is uneducated and spreding lies around the family and its ruining my life. Can I sue her for this?

Asked on January 19, 2013 under Personal Injury, New Mexico


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country you have the legal right to sue your aunt for what she is saying about you. The problem is proving what your damages are in terms of dollars and cents and overcoming her anticipated defense of telling the truth albeit you are not contagious per se but you do have hepatitis C.

The best way to resolve the matter is to have a face to face meeting with your aunt with medical brochures in hand to end the misinformation she has about your condition.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, this sort of harassment  is not  illegal. That is, there is nothing illegal about telling  someone that another person poses a risk of disease, assuming that the person does in fact have that disease. There are no grounds to sue her; the law does not regulate what people say, so long as they do not lie about facts specific to a person (that is, if you did not have the disease and she was lying and saying you did, that could be defamation; but the fact that she is incorrect in the risks of hep C is not defamation and is not actionable).


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.