Can I sue my son for defaulting on a student loan that I co-singed on ?

What legal options do I have since my son refuses to pay his student loan that I was a co-signer on?

Asked on March 23, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you may sue him. You may potentially sue him as a party to the loan agreement (which is a contract); possible for unjust enrichment (keepinig the loan proceeds without paying for them); and possibly for  promissory estoppel (if he represented to you he'd pay, which is why you co-signed, all the while knowing he probably would not). You should speak with an attorney to discuss the matter and your recourse in detail. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.