can I sue my sister for money owed on behalf of my late mothers esate.

my sister and her husband both barrowed money from my mother and never paid it back.

Asked on June 22, 2017 under Estate Planning, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you are the executor, administrator, or personal representative of the estate (i.e. have been appointed to one of those roles by a will and/or the probate court) and your sister has violated the terms of a loan by not repaying when repayment was due, then as the executor (etc.) you can direct the estate to sue for the money. However:
1) You need to have been appointed to one of those roles to have legal authority.
2) If there is no written agreement, you will almost certainly fail, since if it was an oral loan agreement from your mother and she is not here to testify, your sister and her husband can deny it (claiming, e.g. that it was a gift, or if a loan, that your mother had forgiven it) and there will be no admissible evidence to contradict them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.