Can I sue my school for not returning my tuition refund on time to my lender?

I cancelled my enrollment 3 months ago and the enrollment agreement that I signed it stated there that refunds will be received within 45 business days following the cancellation date. It’s been 45 business days and I called my lender they said they didn’t receive any check. So I went to school and asked them if the check has already been cleared from their account, they said no. They told me that maybe it got lost in the mail and that if I want they can reissue another check and they will give it to me and I’ll just send it to my lender. What should I do? They still violated our contract.

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Have you suffered some concrete damage due to the failure to return the refund on time? For example, have you suffered late fees, incurred higher interest rates, been disqualified from a loan program, defaulted on a loan and had the whole amount come due, etc.? If you suffered some concrete and definite loss due to your school's failure to honor its obligations, you may be able to sue the school for compensation. But if you did not suffer any loss or damage, there is nothing to sue for, and you could not recover money--the law only provides compensation for actual losses or damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.