Can I sue my mother and her husband for years of physical and mental emotional abuse?

I was physically and mentally emotionally abuse for years by my mother and her current husband and they continue to mentally emotionally abuse after I’ve moved out and started a family of my own. I have tried everything to get them to leave me alone. I’m taking antidepressants to calm down from their drama. They even went as far as scamming me on my wedding they hired a fake minister to make me think I was legally married when I wasn’t.

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Personal Injury, New York


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can sue your mother for abuse, however, you have to strongly consider whether or not suing your mother and her current husband is really the best course of action for you.  Bringing a lawsuit against anyone is difficult and expensive.  You also have to consider if you were to obtain a judgment against your mother, does she have the ability to pay the judgment.  Also, the burden of proof will be on you to prove each and every allegation of abuse and it sounds like interaction with your mother already causes a significant amount of distress for you.  The statute of limitations, meaning the time the law gives you to bring a lawsuit against a person who has damages you, is different in every state.  If this abuse occurred years ago, you may be past your statute of limitations depending on the laws in the state you are in.  It sounds like either way, one thing you can do is to cut all contact with your mother and her husband, which may help you significantly.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.