Can I sue my manager for disclosing my personal business to other employees?

I was locked up in I was suppose to be to work that day but had no way to contact my job I got out the next day my manger told me to call her if I still want my job so I called in had to explain to her my situation OK I was able to come back to work but that same day I told her she went back to work in told my employees my business of me getting locked up in also I just quit due to all of this because I feel I can work with her she told a friend of mines who came to see if I was at work my manger told her you know your girl quit on me I feel she didn’t give me a chance to tell someone I quit.

Asked on March 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that there is no right to privacy regarding this type of disclosure. In an "at will" employment relationship, a company can set the conditions of the the workplace much as it sees fit, including divulging a worker's being in jail overnight. Therefore, unless this action violated the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, you have no claim here. Also, your treatment must not have constituted some form of legally actionable discrimination (which you did not indicate to be the case).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.