CanI sue my husband and his ex-wife for emotional distress and harassment?

I am tired of my husband’s psycho ex-wife making disparaging remarks about me and leaving me harassing phone messages and my husband blaming me for all of it. Their kids are in the middle, as she is trying to convince the daughter to make up terrible lies about me. I do not want to be married to this man anymore as he is completely unsupportive and says I have no choice but to put up with her and just erase her messages and deal with it. We have been together for 6 years, since his messy divorce from her, and we have been married for 1 year. I want to sue them both for harassment.

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Personal Injury, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you are being harassed by your husband's former wife and want to end it, the best thing for you to do is retain an attorney and file a petition for a retsraining order precluding any and all disparaging remarks and conduct as to you.

From what you have written, you want this unacceptable behavior to stop and the best way to end it is by such a petition.

With respect to ending your marriage to your current husband, you should consult with a family law attorney to start the process for a dissolution if that is your true desire. If your husband is harassing you as well, then after he or you move away from each other a petition for a restraining order against him as well may be in order.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.