Can I sue my ex-roommate for the $6000 eviction that she got?

My friend got evicted from an apartment and my name was on the lease, she never told me about it and now the state put a hold on my bank accounts and says I owe them $6000. I just want her to at least pay half of that. Can I sue her for the half that she owes, since the lawyers are only going after me? I now live in another state. She is unreachable and won’t reply to any of my messages. I am unemployed and a full time student and the only reason we had a place together is because she separated from her husband and couldn’t get an apartment alone.

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Legally, if your roommate caused the eviction, you should be able to recover money from her; depending on the circumstances, either half the past due rent or other amount which is being sought from you (e.g. if you lived together, or you otherwise had access to/use of the premises, or the agreement with her was that you paid half the rent) or potentially the full amount (e.g. if she was the only one living there and the agreement or arrangement between the two of you was that she paid the full rent). If she is in another state, it may not be easy, however, to do this; you should consult with an attorney about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.