How canI sue my ex for libel, slander and defamation?

He has not only told outright lies about my character, but also disclosed private medical information to mutual friends and perfect strangers. I have proof of in the form of direct messages exchanged between heand my sister, which was unbeknowngst to him. This exchange contradicts actual events and the lies he has spread about me. I would like to know what course of action I am to take and whether or not punitive damages are allowed in my case?

Asked on October 25, 2011 under Personal Injury, California


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.