Can I sue my ex for a lost scholarship and school debts?

I had a 2 year scholarship for college that started this year. But istead of taking it my ex convinced me to move out with him (in another state)), promising me that he would help me with pay for school there. However, after I moved, he caused me extreme emotional distress by ignoring me and refusing to help me with school, on top of many other things. I moved back to my former state of residence recently and now I find out that I owe money to school and lost my scholarship. Is there any way that I can sue him for that?

Asked on June 28, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You might have a legal claim under the theory of promissory estoppel, which is recognized by Arizona courts.  This is a theory under which an individual can recover when s/he relies on a promise of another (to help pay for your schooling in the other state) in making a decision to act (move away), the promise is broken (no help with schooling) and the promisee suffers a related detriment (lost scholarship money).  If your scholarship was $10,000 or less, you can sue him in Justice Court.  Problem may be figuring out which one.  Bigger problem may be deciding which state.  Promise was made in Arizona and broken in the other state, which is where he is living.  If you have to go to the other state to sue him, it might not be worth it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.