Can I sue my employer for discrimination if this year they didn’t give me a christmas bonus or let me take my husband to our x-mas dinner when for the past two years I got a x-mas bonus and took my husband with me to our x-mas dinner

This year I didn’t got a X-mas bonus nor was able to take my husband with me to
x-mas dinner some of my co-workers did got bonuses and where told to be discret
about it because suppostly not the new people wern’t going to get any but a
couple of new girls got bonuses plus one of this girl took her boyfriend with her
to the x-mas dinner. I ask my boss wife if my husband could go with me even if
we pay for his dinner she stated we ask for a vote and the majority decided that
only employees but I know for a fact it was not true cause they never ask me
about it, and on top of that I ask her why is Lucio taking his wife with him and
she stated cause she is very involved with us….I think that is just favoritism
and discrimination….I been working for this doctor’s office for 3 years and the
past 2 years I did got a bonus.

Asked on December 27, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that favoritism in the workplace is not illegal so long as it does not constitue some form of legally actionable discrimination. That is, as long as it does not cause lesser treatment of co-workers due to their race, religion, nationality, gender, age, disability, etc. Further, such treatment must not violate the terms of an employment contract or union agreement. Otherwise, an employer can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.