Can I sue my company if they laid me off after I was repeatedly promised that I wouldn’t be?

I was laid off after 10-11 months on the job with 20+ other employees. I signed something at the beginning that said either party can terminate employment for any reason but I was told that I would not be terminated unless is was performance related. My company stated my termination was not performance related and again I was promised employment beyond 12 months by our division president who hired me. Do I have a case?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, one's employment is "at will" unless there is a written agreement to the contrary. Meaning, an employee can be terminated by his or her employer for any reasom so long as it is not discriminatory (race, ethnicity, sexual preference, gender and the like).

From what you have written, you can sue your former employer for being laid off, however from what you have stated, so long as there was some legitimate reason for you being laid off, you will not prevail. I do suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices labor law concerning your matter if you have further questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.