Can I sue a father who committed incest some 40 years ago?

My mother’s second husband, who legally adopted me, molested and raped me repeatedly from the age of 4 through 12.

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Personal Injury, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you see an experienced personal injury attorney who practices in the area of molestation cases to see if your matter is time barred after the period of forty (40) years from the passage of the last wrongful act.

The reason is that some states allow the statute of limitations to begin running from the time when the sexual abuse victim "recalls" the event after such has been supressed when he or she is then an adult.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.