Can I sue if my landlord returned the itemized deductions sheet 32 days post marked after the end of our lease?

my roommates have to sue with me?

Asked on November 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Technically, the landlord has violated his/her obligations; however, if you have not actually been damaged by the breach--that is, if at the end of the day, you received back all the money to which you were entitled (that is, any deductions for unpaid rent or damage to the premises were legitimate deductions), you will recover little or no money; the law provides compensation for improper or illegal actions that cause losses or damage, and does not entitle you to compensation for minor violations that do not harm you.

If you have suffered a loss, however, you could sue for any additional security deposit money you should have received on your own; you do not need your roommate to join with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.