can i sue his home owners inc. ?

got hurt helping landlord on his personal property fell off a16-footladder
helping him cut tree limbs what should i do my arm is broke my arm had surgery
plus my neck lower back are hurt can’t pay rent ?

Asked on May 6, 2016 under Personal Injury, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your landlord's insurer is not *your* insurer: that is, it would only have to pay you compensation if your landlord would be liable for your injury. And your landlord would only be liable if at fault in causing your if you were using landlord's ladder and you fell because it was a broken or rickety ladder which he'd given you to use, or because the landlord bumped you or the ladder, causng you to fall, then the landlord may be liable. In that case, the landlord or his insurer may offer you a settlement; and if they don't, you could sue your landlord (you sue the landlord, not the insurer) with a reasonable chance of success. But if the landlord was not at fault in causing you to fall, then the fact that you were on his property or helping him cut tree limbs does NOT make him or his insurer liable. Fault is necessary for liability; without fault, there there is no liability or obligation to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.