Can I sue for wrongful termination if I am a contract employee?

I was given no notice before been fired or given a severance package. The reason given for dismissal was for improper training of employees. All 40 employees that work there will testify that they were trained properly by me

Asked on August 22, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the contract to which you refer includes limitations on how or why you were terminated, you may only be terminated in accordance with that contract if terminated in violation of it, you could potentially sue for breach of contract. 
If the contract does not limited how or why you could be terminated, then you could  be terminated at any time, for any reason--even a stated reason that is false or inaccurate e.g. even if you trained everyone right, the employer could still terminate you and claim it was for poor training. Without a contract protecting you from termination under these circumstances, there is essentially no such thing as "wrongful" termination, since you could be terminated for any reason whatsoever, or for no reason other than that the employer wanted to terminate you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.