Can I sue for severe emotional distress in a non payment of wages lawsuit in small claims court

I want to know if I can sue for emotional distress in small claims and can I
ask for atleast 3 times the amount I’m owed in Shaker Heights Ohio small
claims court.

Asked on May 3, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot: non-payment of wages claims (or any kind of fundmentally economic or financial claim, such as breach of contract claims) do not recovery of emotional damages. Merely being stressed, every very stressed, by not receiving money does not allow emotional damage compensation. That sort of compensation is reserved for cases involved either deliberate attempts to inflict psychological or emotional harm (like cyberbullying, stalking, harassment) or sometimes being near the violent death of a loved one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.