Can I suea phone companyfor fraud and harassment?

For over a year now a phone company has handed over a closed account of ours to a collection agency, trying to get $480 from us. This is from last year when we closed and account and send back all the equipment, which was handled incorrectly by the company itself and started the whole issue. Now again for the third time the company is going through a collection agency to try to get this money from us which we won’t owe. I have been on the phone with them several times, for several hours and they don’t seem to get it, so I just want to sue them.

Asked on October 31, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. You need to be aware that under federal law as well as under the laws of many states that there are statutes prohibiting unfair debt collection practices by third party debt collection agencies. From what you have written there is a possibility that the contact that you are receiving from the third party debt collector may be a violation of your state's or the federal unfair debt collection practice statutes.

I recommend that you consult with an attorney who practices in debt collection matters about the question that you are writing about.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.